Committee on Student Matters (CSM)
The role of the Committee on Student Matters is to review, discuss, and recommend on matters of University-wide graduate regulation or policy prior their consideration by the Graduate Education Council. The Committee may discuss and/or recommend new initiatives and improvements to current practice in graduate education and the graduate student experience at the University of Toronto.
The Committee considers matters including, but not limited to, the following areas: fellowships and bursaries; recruitment, diversity and community; student progress to degree; student experience; and matters referred from the Committee on Program Matters. While the Standing Committee on Student Matters does not play a formal governance role, it performs an important function in policy development and in other initiatives.
- SGS Vice-Dean, Students (Chair of Committee)
- six graduate student members from among the elected graduate student members of the Graduate Education Council; each of the twelve elected student members of the Graduate Education Council shall serve on either the Committee on Program Matters (CPM) or the Committee on Student Matters for a total of six members on each committee
- one Graduate Coordinator each from one quarter of the total number of graduate departments, centres or institutes with proportional representation from each SGS Division (Humanities, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Life Sciences)
- the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies
- the SGS Director of Student Services, or designate
- the SGS Director of Information Systems, or designate
- Committee Secretary
See the membership for 2019-20 (TBA).
CSM Meeting Schedule for 2019-20
|Monday, November 18, 2018||2:00 pm to 4:00 pm||Room 3130 Sidney Smith Hall|
|Thursday, May 14, 2020||2:00 pm to 4:00 pm||Governing Council Chamber, Simcoe Hall|
Professor Charmaine Williams
Acting Vice-Dean, Students and Chair of the Committee on Student Matters
For information regarding agendas and notes, contact:
Executive Assistant to the Vice-Deans and
Secretary to the Committee on Student Matters